Undecided

undecided

Another painting from my new series “Too Small, Too Young”.

Undecided, 15.5 “x 20”, mixed media painting on wood stretcher.

This series is about being a child now, looking back and/or remembering being a child and also about being an adult/parent watching  your child grow up.  It is bitter sweet to say the least.

Sometimes I find myself looking at my children and feeling  unbearably sad.  I know that this sounds crazy  but it is because I am not really looking at them right now, instead I am thinking about how much smaller they were not so long ago or how soon they are going to be all grown and leaving me.  Awful I know, but it is the truth.  I think about how far away my own childhood seems now, how foggy my memories are.  How young my parents were.

In many ways, these are timeless paintings.  They live neither in or out doors but exist simultaneously in both.  If as though, our memories can be in some other plain all together, existing in our mind but also in this place that shifts back and forth, in and out of focus.  Often hard for us to grasp completely, save a snippet here, a smidgen there.

I guess in these works I am trying to capture  childhood, mine and my children’s and to somehow hold onto it for a little bit longer.  If I can’t manage it in real life, perhaps painting it will  help me remember to think less and be more.

1. Maria Pace, smile, laugh and be happy… It´s easy thinking of sad or melancholy things. Don´t fall in the easy things… In my drawing for IF you feel sad for the little man in love. I think he´s a poor man, he has the lights of the city just across the street and he´s thinking about a girl who, probably, pay him no attention… Be happy and laugh!!!

December 29, 2008 at 6:32 pm

2. Maria – thank you for your beautiful, sensitive work. This picture is full of sadness and longing and something perhaps more scary but before I read your piece I saw mystery and quiet potential. Thank you for sharing your story.

December 29, 2008 at 7:37 pm

3. Aida

Maria — your sensitivity is such a beautiful characteristic and it really shines through in your work!
    like you, my mind tends to wander toward the “what if” and “what used to be” — which can be sad/painful. but then i whip myself back into the present, so as not to miss another moment of the “what is”, because the things we do today are the memories we make for tomorrow.
    you’re so lucky to have the things that you hold dear, and so gifted to be able to record them for all of us to share!

December 30, 2008 at 8:07 pm

4. You people are amazing. For someone that’s insecurities stopped them from putting their art ‘out there’ for so many years, it is wonderful to get your feedback. Thank you so much for all the wonderful encouragement, both in life and art. Really, for me, they are the same.

As for being melancholy and yes, even a little morbid, I just can’t help it! It is the Irish in me. I have always been a little sad and more than a little morose… even when I am painting happy things, there is an underlying sadness. My painting ARE me after all. Why fight it!

I am so blessed, believe me, I know … I count them every night before I go to sleep.

December 30, 2008 at 8:30 pm

5. great post

December 30, 2008 at 11:56 pm

6. Hi there, I stumbled upon your site through Illustration Friday.I love your visual style + your great insight. Thanks for being an inspiration. I would love to pick up my art supplies and start drawing again;)

Cheers fr Singapore!