The Paper Veil

This is a 12″x30″ mixed media painting on canvas.
Available on ETSY

Sometimes I think that I am a backward artist. I think about the reasoning behind the painting either during or after I have painted it. I also often do the painting first and then go back and do a smaller painting or drawing. I don’t wait to think about why I am painting something. I think that is why I have been so prolific these last two years. If I waited I would be still waiting ( and I did for 18 years). I am drawn to things or have an idea of what I want to paint but the bigger picture doesn’t usually hit me until after I am well on my way.

If you are inspired to do something, do it now and ask why later. Your genius doesn’t want to have to explain themselves all the time. You gotta trust that they know what they are talking about. (Just like my girls have to trust ME).

When I was little I remember playing dress up with my mother’s wedding dress. It was very sixties. Sleek and long, made out of the most amazing white brocade material. She had an amazing figure but the dress wasn’t really to her liking. It was a little too modern for her, hence the reason I was allowed to play with it. The flowers on the material were huge roses? peonies? really big beautiful flowers, anyway. The wedding veil also had a huge flower on the front so when I started painting this one it made me think of her veil. I remember putting that veil on and pretending that I was getting married. This occupied my mind a lot as a little girl, ‘Getting Married’.

At twenty five, in fear of being left on the shelf, I got married. OOPS. Then I got to get divorced two years later. Then I married my soul mate so practice does make perfect. Funny, I never wore a veil to either of my weddings. I actually made a tiara out of wire copper and beads for my second wedding. (See, I told you I was a princess! And yes, it does so count if you make it yourself).

Speaking of little girls thinking of getting married, the other day Imogen scolded me for mispronouncing the name of a boy in her class. She told me that, as she was going to marry him, I should really know his name.

So, she is thinking about that stuff too.

“Imogen, you are in no rush.

You don’t expire and you can’t be left on the shelf.

When it is time to get married you will know.

You will just know.

Now, don’t ask any questions and do what your told.

Trust me, like I trust my genius.”

(Most of the time).

1. Tanya C.

Lovely. The painting and the story(ies).

Does the boy’s name start with an I? If so she’s pretty determined and has been for some time. 😉

January 15, 2010 at 11:11 pm

2. I? No.
    Oh, I just got it. No, she has finally stopped talking about him but Scarlett still talk about his brother!

January 15, 2010 at 11:14 pm

3. I love this one Maria, and I love your story that goes along with it too. I think I’m a backwards artist too. I think I do a lot of intuitive stuff and then when I am done, I look back and see all sorts of significant symbolic stuff.

And for the record, when I got married, I didn’t wear a veil either ~ even though I’ve always liked the whole mystical feel of a veil. Instead, I made a floral wreath with ivory ribbons hanging down the back.

~ Dawn

January 16, 2010 at 2:16 am

4. chris

This is such an amazing painting. And the title is so intriguing. Makes me think of the title of a John Irving novel. Happy Birthday, by the way.

January 16, 2010 at 4:10 am

5. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARIA
    MUM and DAD

January 16, 2010 at 6:49 pm

6. “If you are inspired to do something, do it now and ask why later. Your genius doesn’t want to have to explain …” Love this! Happy birthday!

I haven’t blogged in a long time – but life has been full. Have missed reading your posts & seeing your genius at work! Keep going!

January 16, 2010 at 11:12 pm

7. love this Paper Veil Maria, very lovely and dreamy – Aunty Pat

January 18, 2010 at 12:12 am

8. O Yes,If one stops to think of something current,it may just unlock something deep in the mind’s archives. And that will make you a wonderful story teller,as we so well see.- thanks for sharing .
    Pete,Theartbrush