Out Of The Spotlight

This is a 3″x5″ mixed media painting on paper covered canvas.
The sides are.5″ and are painted turquoise.
This painting is available to buy for $55 on etsy by clicking HERE.
Or email me directly
maria@mariapacewynters.com

Perhaps she is greedy for the spotlight?

Lately, I have been feeling rather greedy. Greedy for your emails, greedy for your acceptance, greedy for your praise.
Unlike the recently deceased JD Salinger, who seemed to think that the act of creating was enough and actually thought that publishing was ‘a terrible invasion of (his) privacy’, I can’t imagine creating with the idea that no one would see the results.

I must say, a lot of artists would like to believe that they too are like Salinger, creating for themselves because they must create. Definitely NOT creating in order to be told how wonderful or inspiring that their art is. Selling their art, just some wild possibility. I admit 100%, that I am not that kind of artist and part of the reason I have been so prolific in the last two years is BECAUSE of the internet and because of the reaction that I have received from the people that have viewed my art/blog and because I might be able to make enough money selling my paintings so that I will NEVER have to get a job selling other people’s art ever, ever again.

I think that is why I related to the book Julie and Julia by Julie Powell so much, she seemed to be as shallow and narcissistic as I am and that was really comforting to me. She checked her email almost as often as I do. She kept on her year long challenge so as to not let her ‘bleaders’ down. She wanted to do her art for her living, not as her hobby. And she pulled it off . BOY DID SHE EVER! ( Nora, if you are reading this, can I have Sandra Bullock play me? She looked so fabulous at the Oscars). Ha, ha!
This book made me feel that there is hope for me. Maybe, just maybe, I can make this thing viable so I can keep doing it.

What I am struggling with is finding a happy medium between the two. Appreciating the response but at the same time, not relying on it. It is nice to know that you are inspiring people to paint or to want to own one of your paintings but I have to admit, if that all stopped I would still want to, no, HAVE to paint. Perhaps I wouldn’t paint as much but I would have to paint. It is as much a part of me as breathing.

So I guess, I am like those artists in that way, but I guess the difference is, I don’t want to be. There really is nothing romantic about being a starving artist. My husband, the musician will tell you the same thing. It sucks to be poor. I WANT TO SELL OUT! Where is that dotted line? Where Do I sign?

Just kidding, but you now, some days are harder than others.

Thanks for listening to this rant and really, thanks for all of your support, you guys really are my inspiration! YOU are the best!

1. Sandra couldn’t play you. She doesn’t have your remarkable traffic stoppin lips. You have a knack for putting into words and pictures what we all feel. Keep us artists and art lovers steeped with anticipation of what you’ll create and you’ll NEVER have to sell another’s art.

March 11, 2010 at 2:41 am

2. Thanks Chris!
    Really love your new paintings!

March 11, 2010 at 5:10 am

3. Hilary

I think I need this ! I will press “here” if I am not too late. …. I loved your “rant” as you call it. Don’t stop painting or “ranting”

March 11, 2010 at 6:47 am

Maybe it’s not greed, but our desire as human beings to make and find meaning in our lives with a connection to others through our art.

Everything means something to someone.

It’s a liberating feeling when we own our own Truth (ranting)…

March 11, 2010 at 7:24 am

5. Soooooo TRUE Shelly, thanks!

March 11, 2010 at 4:14 pm

6. I think, my dear Maria, that you touched on something that is at the heart of the psyche of an artist. Particularly a female artist. When we are creating, we are wildly in our feminine… chaotic, flowing, juicy and full of life. We are not so much about purpose but rather about release, unleashing the soul and letting it become something beautiful, rich and dynamic. And part of the essence of being in our femimine is our deep desire to be seen and heard. Oddly this is often something we feel ashamed about or apologize for. But just as you have realized that you could not stop creating any more than you could stop breathing (also a part of being in our feminine), you could not likely create in a void. You need to be seen, heard, appreciated, loved… No shame. Just more of what makes you so damn engaging and genuine. Your words as deeply rich as your images.

March 12, 2010 at 9:29 pm

• So…. Does that mean …
      YOU LIKE ME, YOU REALLY LIKE ME!

March 12, 2010 at 10:24 pm

7. I think we’re all a bit greedy in needing some praise and at certain times maybe a bit more praise never hurts. I think most artists have some doubts about their works and some of us have a hard time even getting started because of self doubt.
    While you may need the praise, I certainly don’t think you need worry IF your art is good enough or will liked by others. I can’t believe anyone wouldn’t like it! Personally your art speaks to me and I love each piece. I’m so glad that I found you! I love the style, the color and emotion.

March 15, 2010 at 2:40 pm