Waiting

This is a 5″x7″ mixed media painting on paper covered canvas. The sides are .5″ deep and are painted red.
This painting is available for $60 + shipping by clicking HERE.

She waits in anticipation. Just like me, waiting till night when both girls are deep in slumber and I can steal up to the loft, two steps at a time, to paint. Waiting has never been my strong suit. When I want something, I want it right now. I hate surprises, well I love them if I don’t know about the possibility of them.
Kind of my life’s lesson, so far, has revolved around waiting.
I had to wait for the right husband, even going as far as trying out a wrong one first.
I had to wait for my babies, trying for five years, one devastating month at a time.
And, I had to wait for inspiration to paint until I turned forty and suddenly the light went on.
Lately, I have had to wait to paint. Trying my best to not be actively waiting but instead actively in the moment, hanging out with my two girls and friends, having coffee, gardening, spring cleaning . Perhaps, even filling the well a little.

So now we know what I am waiting for, but what is she waiting for?

1. Tanya C.

LOVE this piece!

April 21, 2010 at 4:25 pm

2. I think the waiting makes the desire to do the thing (i.e. painting, writing) stronger, makes it so much more appealing. On a day with nothing planned (that probably never happens to you as a mother, but…) does any activity have that pure, driven appeal?

April 21, 2010 at 4:31 pm

• I agree. Sometimes I waste my time that I have in the loft when I know that I have several hours. Stealing a half an hour here or there can actually makes me more productive !

April 22, 2010 at 5:42 am

3. Rachel Hanka

The colors in this are just lovely!
    I want to thank you for posting your artwork, it is wonderful to be able to come and see it here. Its truly inspiring, every time time I come to have a look I’m inspired to get out my paintbrushes and sitting down to work. Sometimes I even do. 🙂

April 21, 2010 at 5:46 pm

• Thanks Rachel, when I hear that I actually inspire people to paint it makes everything I do worth while!

April 22, 2010 at 5:44 am

You’ve been carrying a lot of wait/weight around, Maria. And your paintings are that much richer for it…
    At first glance of “Waiting”, this excerpt from the book “The Winter Vault” by Anne Michaels came to mind:

“Avery leaned overboard, dipped his teacup into the river, then set the circle of water next to him. He chose a colour and let it seep into the soft hair of the brush, infused with river water. Gently he released its fullness across Jean’s strong back.Sometimes he painted the scene before them, the riverbank, the ruinous work that never stopped, the growing pile of stone physiognomy. Sometimes he painted from memory, the Chiltern Hills, until he could smell his mother’s lavender soap in the fading heat. He painted, beginning from childhood, until he was again man-grown. Then, almost the moment he finished, he dipped the cup again into the river and with clear water drew his wet brush through the fields, through the trees, until the scene dissolved, awash on her skin. Some of the paint remained in her pores, until she bathed, the Egyptian river receiving the last earth of Buckinghamshire in its erasing embrace. Of course, Jean never saw his landscapes and, blind,was free to imagine any scene she wished. He would come to think of his wife’s languor during that dusk hour – each dusk those months of 1964 – as a kind of wedding gift to him; and in turn, she felt herself open under the brush, as if he were tracing a current under her skin. In this dusk hour, each gave to the other a secret landscape. In each, a new privacy opened.”

Perhaps THIS is what she’s waiting for?

April 21, 2010 at 8:28 pm