The Paper Beret

This is a 4″x8″x3″ (brick) painting.
This painting is $125 and is available HERE.

Scarlett turned four last week and I have never seen any one actually change overnight. She went to bed a toddler and woke up acting and talking like a ‘big girl’.
Yesterday, she was actually telling me about something that happened when she was ‘a little girl.’

REALLY! When you were ‘a little girl’.

(You should have seen the eye rolling from Imogen that luckily Scarlett did NOT see).

I love her thinking she is a big girl but in some ways it can be hard. The tray carrying is a good example.

She wants to be a waitress so bad and insists on carrying things on a tray. The other day, before I even realized what had happened, she put a yogurt drink on a tray and made her way into the TV room. You guessed it, she did not make it.

Oh, the tears! She was devastated. She ran off and cried on the stairs and while I was cleaning up the mess I heard her little voice moan “oh, I’ll never be a waitress! I could just die!”.

I could just die! Where the heck did she hear THAT?

I went to comfort her and when I asked her how old she thought waitresses were (her answer was fourteen) she seemed to realize that she had a few years to practice yet.

Unfortunately, trying to convince her to practice with empty vessels is proving to be a little more difficult.

I love the “brick” format…it gives the painting a surrealist 3-dimensional look, depending on the angle you view it from. The paper beret brings to mind the phrase “put your thinking cap on”…

It seems to me that you have a little actress on your hands, one with a real dramatic flair! And it’s interesting that she wants to be a waitress…isn’t that the kind of job that actresses/actors/artists moonlight at in the beginning stage of their careers?

June 11, 2010 at 6:44 pm

2. juliebroom

I love the unusual brick format of this too, Maria – how innovative. It’s a fantastic piece. Poor Scarlett – it’s so important to be able to do big girl things when you’re small.

June 11, 2010 at 6:53 pm

3. Tanya C.

Gosh she looks like Chris. 🙂

ps – I have no idea where a child of you two would get such a dramatic flair 😉

June 11, 2010 at 7:16 pm

4. I love the brick painting! And what a great story about Scarlett and her “big girl” aspirations! And yesterday, she was just a baby….

June 11, 2010 at 8:51 pm

5. What a wonderful “coming of age” story to go with this painting. I hope whom ever purchases it will take the story with it too! Would make a wonderful children’s picture book story too. I like the paper baret title(really made me curious what I was going to see) and the paper baret itself in the painting is great! Fantastic painting, as always!

June 12, 2010 at 2:31 am

6. ecap

Printcess in waiting
    Had to serve High Tea
    On a low table
    To get a Head
    To afford a beret
    That was more her Type

June 12, 2010 at 6:45 am

7. I love your art, it’s just fantastic; and I love your stories behind it. You have agreat blog.

June 13, 2010 at 4:20 am

8. Oh the misery of wanting to be a big girl, not realising that she will be in the big world soon enough, and that getting there is much more fun

love her to bits

Aunty Pat

June 13, 2010 at 7:20 pm

9. oh my goodness that is such a cute story.

June 14, 2010 at 3:50 pm

10. Thanks everyone. I appreciate it.

I really like painting on the brick canvas too. It is challenging, but fun!

June 14, 2010 at 5:23 pm

11. Great
    Work

good
    sources
    of