Unseen Beauty

This is a 11″x14″ mixed painting on paper covered canvas. SOLD
The painting is 3″ deep. I am still trying to figure out what to do with the sides but I thought you might want to have little look at what I have been doing (or trying to do, in between everything else!) this last little while.

I also wrote the following poem about the painting:

Unseen Beauty

The coat is large, too big for her really.
Her fingers peek out from the rolled up sleeves.
Its warmth comforts her and makes her feel safe, like she is being wrapped up by her mother.
Like when she was a babe and her mother would wrap her in her arms and press her into her bosom.
The smell of her mother
Lingers
Her mother’s coat
Her mother is near.
But the light is fading now.
And even the weight of the coat cannot stop her fears from seeping in
Taking hold
Their grip is so much stronger than even the smell and touch of her mother
or her coat
It is almost dark now.
She can still hear the sound of the bedtime story
Words drift around her
As she lets sleep take her
away
To a place she does not want to go
‘You can’t see the glow of your night light when your eyes are closed’
And there she stand, in the dark woods
She has arrived
Night after night it is always the same
And she is all alone
So, so alone
And it is so dark
If only she could look around and see the beauty in her slumber
See her protectors
If only she could see the colours in the dark
Know that black doesn’t exist at all
Feel how safe she is in this beautiful and mysterious place
And know that they are there, just beyond her breaths
They are there, watching over her
They are always watching over her

1. Lovely! I especially love that it’s very colorful and still has lots of dark, shadowy nuances.

June 22, 2010 at 5:07 am

2. Meme

Lovely imagery..both visually & figuratively.

June 22, 2010 at 5:19 am

3. Hilary

Maria- I love the mysterious feeling that is portrayed in this painting. Your poem expresses it so well. You have blended the image and words so beautifully. It’s wonderful

June 22, 2010 at 5:31 am

4. Mary Braet

Beautiful! Just wanted you to know….

June 22, 2010 at 11:22 am

5. This is a beautiful piece. I love the colors , patterns and energy that you put in this piece. How did it get to be three inches deep. I would love to have watched your process. I work with paper, textiles and paint too. Those colors that you used are so exciting to me.
    Are you selling it? would you trade ?

Warmly,
    Cami

June 22, 2010 at 11:36 am

6. juliebroom

Maria, sometimes your talent just blows me away. This is one of those times.

June 22, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Rabbits are a symbol of fecundity and new life. “Rabbit can show you how to recognize the signs around you. It can help you to attune to the lunar cycle of 28 days and recognize the tides of movement within your life. This in turn will enable you to become even more fertile in your life.” – Ted Andrews

This painting is wonderfully fertile and I LOVE, LOVE, the rabbit! This is reminiscent of the Alice in Wonderland story, in which Alice follows a white rabbit down a hole into a wondrous world of adventure.

Magical, Maria. And in response to your beautiful sensitive poem…the Rabbit is your protector.

June 23, 2010 at 3:10 am

8. Thanks everyone, I appreciate your kind comments.

June 23, 2010 at 5:23 am