Faith- In Progress

This is a 9″x12″ mixed media painting on wood.
This is in progress and the working title is ‘faith’ but I am not sure if that is a keeper.
The idea of Faith and the actual word ‘faith’ has been creeping up in my life a lot lately.
Something that you know in your heart even if it doesn’t make sense in your head. This is what faith is. I believe in my heart that my husband has not been given the ability to write beautiful music so that he can work in an office.
This I believe for myself as well. Surely if you are given talent, inspiration and drive you should continue on. Not blindly, no, not blind faith but calculated faith? Perhaps?
The faith to be an artist and know that somehow you are going to be able to pay the bills next month.
The faith that your cat will return after a week.
The faith that you will have enough paintings for your upcoming show.
The faith that those paintings won’t be complete stinkers.
The faith that people won’t see through your confident facade.
The faith that you can keep having the faith.

1. Hilary

Love the words and the painting! Thank you
    Yes, keep this Faith

October 14, 2010 at 4:10 am

2. It is a beautiful painting – if it is complete or not.

Your words associated with the painting – beautiful too. I love what you wrote. I relate to what you wrote… (well, everything except for the husband who writes beautiful music :))

You are so absolutely inspiring. Thank you for what you do 🙂

October 14, 2010 at 4:32 am

It all works out in the end if we just get out of our own way!

I love this piece…it has the flavor of a Toulouse-Lautrec loose oil sketch on cardboard.

October 14, 2010 at 5:17 am

4. This post speaks to me. As an artist I’m constantly doubting my ability. I only wish I had a faction of your talent. By the way loving this painting.

October 14, 2010 at 2:21 pm

5. judy paulson

your work is stunning! take a deep breath– keep the faith– it goes in little steps at times. i love this work just as it is! judy

October 14, 2010 at 3:45 pm

6. Lovely, thought-provoking and finished!!

October 14, 2010 at 5:55 pm

7. I think that this panel might be done too. I really like the unfinished look at the bottom but I am going to add another panel above to make it a diptych or perhaps even a triptych.
    Thanks for all of your nice comments, they make my day.

October 14, 2010 at 6:03 pm

8. i LOVE this and i KNOW this…thank you for sharing it!!!

October 14, 2010 at 7:24 pm

9. Definition of FAITH
    a : allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty
    b (1) : fidelity to one’s promises (2) : sincerity of intentions
    a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion
    b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust
    : something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs

-I hate to separate art from craft but in this instance it’s like going to a movie and you have to suspend disbelief, here I am forced to separate art and craft for the ease of argument. I love craft art ant in that sense art does save lives and is a dire necessity.

Dear Maria
    You have a gift, and what ever your faith, gratefulness is all-ways a good fall back. Thank you for your gift of beautiful art work. This painting stands out. What I don’t see or hear and what I crave is God. I am not hearing the straight forward a spiritual content that is associated with the word faith. Gandhi is credited with saying something like this

truth is god but more important God is Truth.

I love to pray now in my life and I pray for my higher power to help me paint and to share the gift of my talent.

However art is a luxury. We can’t eat it and it doesn’t save lives, at least on any normal basis, but I wonder how many people have died for art or the freedom to make it. We are lucky to have the freedom to make out art with very little threat of of our lives in the USA. Imagine if we were in China or other counties where political freedoms are less clear.

Oh yes we have so much to be grateful for and your work is so beautiful.
    Paul

God is Love, I love God – Or any faith that is kind

October 14, 2010 at 7:56 pm

• Paul,
      I try to be honest, more than you know, and to stay authentic in both what I write and my art. You are right, I chose my word carefully, perhaps I did edit what I was trying to say and you saw through that, you caught me out. I am just not sure if I am there yet, it makes me nervous, but I am working on it.

October 15, 2010 at 2:38 am

10. Leslie Basse

When I looked at this painting I saw the whole title as “Faith in Progress.” This girl has faith and is confident to the world, but in an unguarded moment, she doubts and has the look that she is not confident in her faith. I see this as her faith is in progress and evolving. We are never 100% sure of ourselves.

October 15, 2010 at 1:50 am

• Leslie, I thought the same thing after I posted this and saw the title. It really fits, I think that might end up being the title.

October 15, 2010 at 2:30 am

11. love this piece Maria and consider it a finished piece

love it, love it, love it

your gift is a blessing that is kept whole by your faith in its voice

aunty pat

October 15, 2010 at 10:53 pm

• Wow… it’s interesting to read your words about this piece and then the comments. You are where you are. It’s funny but I read the title as “Faith – In Progress”. And that’s actually where all of us are on our earthly journey… we are a faith in progress. That said, the piece speaks to me as it is in this photo… she’s a snapshot of all of us. So cool.

blessings,