The Little Prince

This is a 12″x16″ mixed media painting on paper covered canvas. The sides are 1.5″ deep and are painted red.
This painting is SOLD
“What makes the desert beautiful,” says the little prince, “is that somewhere it hides a well.”
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Even though it may feel like that the well has dried up, you must keep digging.

I have been feeling a little parched lately. (In the inspiration department). Coming off the tail of a show of 13 paintings, rather large ones, can do that, I guess. I should give myself a break.

Easier said than done.

The thing is, I am always worried about taking a break. Absence does not always make the heart grow fonder. Sometimes the longer we stay away, the harder it is to get back. I know this from experience and it frightens me.

I read a quote today from Erma Bombeck about how at the end of her life she wanted to be able to say that she had no talent left because she had used up every last bit she’d been given.
I like that.
I don’t want to waste my talent. I also don’t want to waste my life worrying about wasting my talent. I wish I could find a balance and I wish that I had the confidence to know that I will never stop painting again. Taking a break and stopping are very different. Picasso said, ‘Inspiration finds me when I am working’ but does that mean ‘painting’? Can I be filling that well and finding inspiration while I am cleaning the house or baking with the girls. I think that I can.
There are no rules.
(Except the ones I keep making up.)
( I can be very frustrating at times.)

Another thing that was on my mind was the death of Elizabeth Edwards.
As a mother I was reminded of how special each minute I spend with my children is. To look around and know that the home you made for your family, each little thing that you have picked out, each special touch, the way you fold a towel or stock a shelf could soon be absent of YOU, is sobering to say the least.

And I have been thinking of John Lennon too. I was a young girl when he was killed Dec 8, 1980, but now I am older than he was when he died. I’ve made it longer than he did in this world, that just seems crazy and so unfair.
No doubt, that man died talentless.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to write this post about three dead people (five, I guess if we count Picasso and Antoine de Saint-Exupéry).

On a more positive and less morbid note, here is another quote from ‘The Little Prince’:

“A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.”
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

1. These feelings is shared, Maria. We must celebrate this time and remember that each moment is a gift. We should go and get that book and read it to the girls right away!

December 9, 2010 at 6:19 pm

2. ARE shared…

December 9, 2010 at 6:19 pm

3. Maria,
    I understand your feelings I have been going through the same myself…
    I have stop painting and I am having trouble beginning again.
    Looking at this beautiful painting is encouraging and exciting to me – you are inspiring me! 🙂
    “Le Petit Prince” was one of my favorite book as a young girl. It still is!
    I’d love to see you illustrate the whole book.
    Take care,
    Danielle

December 9, 2010 at 10:21 pm

4. Thanks Danielle. It is hard to stay inspired isn’t it? You must though because your art is so beautiful. I am so glad that you wrote a comment.

December 9, 2010 at 10:50 pm

In your use of jewel toned colors, you have truly created a gem.

December 10, 2010 at 7:11 am

6. Don’t worry so much about your art, Maria. It is beautiful. And you will find inspiration and strenghth to create much more. It is certainly true that exhibitions can leave you a bit drained. It is natural though that our creative cyles come and go, wax and wane. We need time to rest and just ‘be’. New ideas, inspiration and stamina will emerge like a beautiful butterlfly. Take heart X

December 11, 2010 at 2:39 pm

7. Deidre Bruhn

I think at this time of the year we are tired with our busy, busy lives. No time to just do nothing and stop and smell the roses! Your art is inspiring Maria and it seems to be for so many people. Enjoy that fact…I would love to be in your position. The creative process (I am finding) is quite exhausting.I am studying visual arts next year (at age 51!) and would be so satisfied to be half as good as you!Your talent to create emotional, beautiful art is amazing. You need to nurture yourself and those wonderful paintings will happen.Hope Santa brings you something nice!

December 12, 2010 at 3:51 am

8. Thanks Shelly, Theresa and Deidre!

Resting without guilt and feeling quite relaxed right now. Thanks!

December 12, 2010 at 6:52 am

9. Maria your works is beautiful!! I am curious about the paper on the canvas, is this watercolour paper you are mounting on yourself?
    I understand your feelings about being dried up and uninspired, it happens to most of us. Relax and nurture yourself, let yourself play and read and look at other art. Before you know it you will be back in full swing.

December 20, 2010 at 6:04 pm

• Thanks Pat, I LOVE your paintings!
      Yes, I mount rag paper onto canvas myself. I am also really loving painting on wood as of late.

December 20, 2010 at 6:34 pm

10. Alena

Beautiful picture! 🙂 I love the story of the little prince.

June 1, 2016 at 7:08 am