Hopes And Desires

This is a 18″x14″ mixed media painting on paper covered canvas.
This painting is available HERE.

We have all experienced dream crushers in our life. Those people that think it is their job to inform us that are dreams are impractical or unrealistic. Growing up working for my parents at their small Inn in Victoria, I met many people, strangers really , the felt that it was up to them to tell me that my desire to be an artist was just plain silly.
‘Art is hobby’ one couple told my sixteen year old self as I poured them coffee for breakfast.
It is amazing to me, when I think back, at how many people told me this. It got to the point that I stopped telling people what I was studying or what my goals were.
Their comments did not changed my desire to be an artist but they did make me feel that it was perhaps a hopeless dream. After all, how do you BECOME an artist? Sure you can go to college and university but let me tell you a little secret, it is not much different there. My professors may have well been those people that I served at sixteen. They were actually teaching us that being an artist for a living was a crazy idea and not only THAT, but if you did manage to make an living as an artist, it must mean that you have sold out.
HUH?
It is no surprise that I remained confused about my desire to be an artist for a very long time. Until I turned forty, actually.
What changed when I turned forty? I was able to turn off those dream crusher voices in my head and realize that the way to become an artist is to create art. As often as possible. End of story. There is no great mystery here. Maybe I am not making as much money as some one with a ‘real job’ but holey moley, I am doing something that I LOVE TO DO.
There is value in that.
There is joy in that.
There is something so SACRED about that.

The thing that makes me so crazy is that, as a parent, I work so hard to cultivate and encourage my children’s dreams and yet one person can come along and destroy it all with a few ‘helpful’ words. So remember, next time a young person tells you what they want to do with their life, just listen, bite your tongue if you have to. Don’t be a dream crusher, be a dream cultivator. *************************************************************************************************

The size of your success is measured by the strength of your desire; the size of your dream; and how you handle disappointment along the way.

-Robert Kiyosak

Desire is half of life; indifference is half of death.

-Kahlil Gibran

It is a miserable state of mind to have few things to desire and many things to fear.

-Francis Bacon, Viscount St Albans

1. Tanya C.

What a wonderful piece and a wonderful post – I’m so glad you were able to put away the dream crushers. We are all better for it!

February 8, 2011 at 10:43 pm

2. Sarah Bowie

Ooooh this is so awesome. I had to post it on Facebook to inspire others.

February 8, 2011 at 10:44 pm

3. Dinah Frese

My Dear Maria – thank you so much for your comments today – they were just what I needed to hear. Your joy truly shows in your art. Thank you once again!

February 8, 2011 at 10:48 pm

4. suefurrow

Oh so much truth ! These words can inspire at any age ! Thanks

February 9, 2011 at 3:25 am

5. Lori Zebiere

Fantastic!! Both the painting and the post! You are so right, how one comment can cut so deep.

February 9, 2011 at 4:42 am

6. ecap

To realize a dream is to find fullfilment.
    To find fulfilment is to be truly happy .
    To be truly happy is the essenc of life.
    Ecap

February 9, 2011 at 8:08 am

7. Thanks everyone! This one was so much fun to paint.

February 10, 2011 at 1:09 am

8. Mistie

I don’t think it matters what you are studying, some people just love to tell you that it is a pointless endeavor. My sister was going to school for psychology, and someone asked her, “What are you going to do with that?”. Her response was, “I don’t know, maybe be a psychologist.” I think some of the time people don’t know what to say, so they say the first thing that comes to mind, which is often heartless.

Thank you for reminding me that it is important to be a help not a hindrance to others.

February 11, 2011 at 4:25 pm

9. Deidre Bruhn

Really lovely painting Maria.I think we are always going to come in contact with negative people and some seem to take delight in knocking someone elses dream.As I have got older (and wiser) I only hang with happy, positive and genuine people and try not to let the others influence me…especially on the artistic roller coaster!!! That includes ,as you said, some teachers!
    Your kids will be sensitive and successful Maria…. as you are!

February 12, 2011 at 8:14 am

10. I also shared this with fb friends. I love your technique and style! I have not always done my art fulltime and had a similar experience when I turned 40! I now am an artist ! I don’t care what others say anymore! Once I made that choice…the creative flood gates opened and inspiration seems never ending. Your post is well done.

February 12, 2011 at 7:29 pm