Make. Believe.

This is a 24″x30″ mixed media painting on wood. The sides are 1.5″ deep and are painted red.
This painting is SOLD.
Often, at the same time I make art, my children make-believe.
It can hardly be a coincidence that my art is so much about this magical time of dreaming, dressing up, imagination and make-believe. It swirls around my studio/their playroom just as they do in their princess dresses, silk butterfly wings and felted crowns and capes. Their make believe is infectious and it can’t help but make it’s way onto my canvas.

Just the expression ‘make-believe’ is inspirational. Making it real by believing it to be so. Believing it into existence. Three years ago I decided to make my make-believe a reality. Some days are easier than others but I make-believe everyday. I take a blank canvas and I believe it into reality. Make believe is magic time, to make something where nothing existed before is magic.
Art is magic.
Children are magic.
The imaginations is magic.
Go on, I dare you to stop worrying about looking silly, put on your felted crown and cape, and make some magic happen.
Go on….
Make.
Believe.

1. Love your paintings! They are so imaginative and I agree the child in us needs to come out and play – yours obviously is.

One question about your process… what is this paper covered canvas that you mention? Are you referring to the collage elements or is the canvas completely covered with some kind of paper before you start?

thanks!

February 26, 2011 at 7:24 pm

• Thanks for your comment.
      To answer your question, I cover the canvas with paper before I start.
      But this one is on wood.

February 27, 2011 at 3:31 pm

• Thanks Marie… what kind of paper do you use and why?

February 28, 2011 at 3:59 am

• Cherly,
        I use rag paper. I am just more of drawer than a painter, so I like hard flat services like paper and wood better than canvas.
        Best,

February 28, 2011 at 4:29 am

2. I heard a great comment on NPR today – when you get to the age that you realize you are no longer a child, then it’s time to protect the child part of you.

February 26, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Great post, Maria!

“I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.” Einstein said that…and he was right.

February 27, 2011 at 3:39 am

4. Thanks Shelly and Sarah, these are both great!

February 27, 2011 at 3:33 pm

5. Hi Maria. I hope you’re well. But of course you are, judging from this stunning new piece! It is an enchanting way of make believe. Simply beautiful! 🙂

February 27, 2011 at 10:05 pm

6. …and what an impact you make in our REAL world…turning it into something magical…while becoming lost in your paintings!

February 27, 2011 at 11:59 pm

7. I think all parents become intrinsically tethered to their child inside. And while they are experiencing more growth than they have since they were a child, they are also reliving their own childhood on a level not even evident to them at the time. I love that as a parent I am able to “make-believe”, “make-ridiculous”, “make-absurd”, “make-mistakes”…..all the things my authentic self hungers for.

And I have witnessed dozens of new parents unfold as they welcome new souls into their lives. I think they should all be handed a super hero cape as part of the deal. I’ve witnessed feats of unbelievable ego strength that can only be the work of the super human!

March 1, 2011 at 5:35 am

8. Deidre Bruhn

Absolutely gorgeous painting Maria.I am still waiting for my “magic” to appear on the canvas! I still love “dress ups” the wilder and wackier the better (for parties I mean).Maybe I am still a kid at heart as I do love make believe!Maybe I should dress up while painting!!

March 1, 2011 at 9:26 am