Day For Night

36″x36″, Mixed media painting on wood. The sides are 1.5″ and are painted red.

This painting is available HERE.

This painting available HERE as a iphone cover

This huge painting took me ages.  I have felt tired and uninspired as of late. Like I have lost my magic or something. I think that I have been using my head  to create art and forgetting about my heart.

That is  very dangerous.

I have to lead with my heart.

Quiet my thoughts.

Hush those voices.

I have to trust that whatever I create, when I am in the zone , is what I should be creating. Good or bad, happy or sad, full of colour or completely devoid. These are just NOT decisions that my BRAIN needs to be making. I must paint with my heart.

So bare with me. As I nourish my heart,

my soul,

my muse,

my divine inspiration.

These things truly DO have be tended to on a regular basis.

1. Laura

I understand what you mean Maria, I paint and have a young family and my mind is always a buzz with thoughts that sometime stop me painting. I think I need to remember the reason why I paint in the first place, because it makes me feel good. Here’s two quotes that I came across recently and I think it says it all.

Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time. Thomas Merton

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.
    Twyla Tharp

May 25, 2011 at 5:45 am

• Thanks, I love these quotes! They truly hit the nail on the head!

May 26, 2011 at 5:39 am

2. Dawn

Beautiful!

May 25, 2011 at 12:56 pm

3. Anne

Maria, you have such loving and beautiful daughters…..they will nourish your heart and soul….fill your cup. Anne

May 25, 2011 at 5:42 pm

• Thanks Anne, you have loving and beautiful daughters too… so I guess, you would know!
      Love,

May 26, 2011 at 5:37 am

4. Im giving your heart a hug! {{maria}} Your paintings sure produce magic for me. I love coming here to see what your heart and imagination dream up, but your good to be still, and listen to what your heart is saying. I have a big sign taped on my painting table that says “paint for yourself” I find the voices in my head ask “will anyone like this?? will someone want to buy it?”Thats when my heart seems to check out and brain starts bossing everyone around. when I paint for me…that doesn’t happen. xoxox don’t worry, you are an incredible gift, and your heart is so big, your brain can’t take over for long. hahah! I mean that in the best possible way :o) have a rest and take care of yourself. :o)

May 26, 2011 at 5:19 pm

5. Thanks, Tammy, it must be the same for all of us. That thought is comforting and I guess, if it were too easy, it wouldn’t mean anything. My mother always says that anything worth anything, ain’t easy. Like giving birth or even raising kids. These things are hard but we still would never change them for the world.
    Best to you!

May 27, 2011 at 3:03 am

6. Hi Maria, about a couple month ago I decided to change something about my routine.Send kids to school in the morning. Run to “Studio”,which is basement. Paint, paint like teenager that knows that he has to do it all before the parents come home. At 3p.m. drop everything and magically turn into driver/cook/maid/mother/dog walker/lover etc,etc. You know it I bet. So i decided to look how is the other artist/parents,not so bohemian people are balancing their life.And i thought it is good to do something opposite from what my mother always said.I decided to be just a little bit selfish and show to my family that i am as important as they are.I put together a website and started looking around on internet.that is how i stumbled across your blog.It took me some time to write to you,but i feel that all those issues and worries that you and other people talk on you blog are so dear to my heart.i almost cried when i first read your blog and of course your paintings…. You know the world is blessed when there is people like you pouring heart into the art. I always look at your work with awe,it is full of magic,starting from subject to execution.

May 28, 2011 at 7:03 pm

• Julia, now it is my turn to cry. Thank you for your lovely letter. It is hard to balance it all. I am feeling grumpy as of late and I know it is because I haven’t been to the studio in ages!(well, it feels like ages!)

Also, I love, love, love your art! Thanks for sharing this with me. It is very inspiring!

All the best to you, and thanks so much for your wonderful email.

May 29, 2011 at 5:44 am