How Do You Love Me

11″x14″ mixed media painting on wood. The sides are 1.5″ deep and are red.

This painting is available HERE.  Canada Post is threatening a strike, though, so shipping time may be up in the air (pun intended).  Thanks Canada Post. Thanks a lot.

It is my Scarlett’s 5th birthday today.  Five years old. WOW, I can’t believe that I had that little baldy biddy five years ago and that my Imogen was only turning three. I treated her like she was so grown up and  I expected her to be.

I remember holding Scarlett in the hospital and looking at her beautiful little hands. They were not like a baby’s hands, they were like miniature women’s hands. They reminded me of my Grandmother’s hands, I am not sure why, but as I held that new life in my arms, I felt the presence of my Grandmother in that room. I will always remember that.

How do I love you, Scarlett Wynters, Let me count the ways

I love your curls and the way that they spring loose from every pony tail and ballet bun I try to tame them with.  You, my dear, are very much like those curls.

I love that you gave me a list for your birthday. It was clear and concise, there was never a doubt of what you wanted.

A watch

A bathing suit

A small stamp dispenser shaped like a post box from the post office

AND

A snow globe

I love your giggle. It is infectious, and the fact that you like being tickled, allows me to hear it often.

I don’t LOVE your ‘dynamic’ eating habits but I do appreciate your need to fulfill your tactile desires. What does that muffin feel like when you break it in little pieces between your fingers?

I love the fact that you  feel it necessary to pull  all the dried acrylic paint off of my palettes. Very helpful, not only does it keep you busy but, in the end I have clean palettes.

I love your abstract paintings and the fact that you think that everything you do is a masterpiece (which, of course, it is).

I love that you love cleaning the kitchen floor, in your underpants, while singing like Cinderella.

I love your special ‘Scarlett hugs’.

Happy Birthday to you. You are so grown up, but you are still my baby.

1. Hilary Wynters

Lovely painting and lovely photos!! looks like Scarlett’s birthday party was great fun!!
    Scarlett’s actual birth day was very special was very special. I remember Imogen and James and I coming in to see you and Chris and meet Scarlett.
    we asked a volunteer the way to your ward and the lady wanted to talk. Imogen (that grown up 3 year old!) was very polite but said “we really can’t stay and talk as we are very busy today. My Mummy has just had my new baby sister”……
    Also the the St Albert children’s Festival has started and that reminded me that Trish and I took Imogen and Meg out there on a very hot afternoon while you and Scarlett were in hospital… fond memories

June 1, 2011 at 8:33 pm

• Trish is actually at the Children’s festival today. Hard to believe that it was five years ago.

June 1, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Happy Birthday, Scarlett!!

The Birthday cake looks scrumptious in that ‘nest’…and those gummy worms amongst the cookies…this could only have been made by a cleverly artistic mother!! And the SPARKLES on the cake…Scarlett must of been positively swooning…lucky girl!

What a great little story…you’ll want to keep this close to your heart should you ever happen upon the ‘turbulent teens’!

June 1, 2011 at 8:39 pm

• Ha, ha …you would like the sparkles on the cake!

June 1, 2011 at 9:17 pm

3. Suz

I’m old enough to be your big sis, but I would have loved having you for a mother. Love your art, love your attitude, and love those darlings you are so blessed to call daughters. Wishing Scarlett and you many more years of magical moments like those described above.

June 2, 2011 at 2:22 am

4. Thanks Suz, much appreciated!

June 2, 2011 at 3:49 am

5. Hi Maria.wow 5!! Happy Birthday!!
    I have 2 bigger boys (One is much bigger).and a girl ,that just turned 8 on May 15.You know from the moment I found out that I would have a girl ,I was lost. Somehow I knew that it will be different this time. I was really comfortable with boys,even my dog is a boy. Little bit of manipulation mix with admiration (sometimes flatter) and a charm would work wonders. Here I realized I have to deal with another woman in my life. Oh boy and a woman she is… Always knows exactly what she wants but can confidently change her mind.Everything is BIG. Expectations,tragedies,love,opinion,name it. I am not very talkative(may be because english is my second language) but I can stare for hours at her (if she would allow me). I share the feeling of being privileged to be a mother,also i do not think i am a very good one. you know too many spoiled dinners,forgotten classes and vey little patience,but whatever i can contribute to a good side of me it is because of my kids.They really ground me,may be i would be some very bohemian artist still sitting under umbrella somewhere on the streets of Paris,all wrinkled with a deep smoked voice . You know at my age it does not look very good :))
    Thank you for your kid words about my art,i just need to master the courage and get out there.

June 2, 2011 at 4:56 pm

6. Now, stop that before you make me cry……
    Love the painting!

June 2, 2011 at 7:47 pm

7. And Happy Birthday to Scarlet!

June 2, 2011 at 7:48 pm

8. corinne

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO SCARLET!

les macarons sont merveilleux!

June 9, 2011 at 7:36 am