Permission To Paint Something Beautiful?

‘The Tea Party’

A 12″x9″ mixed media painting on stone paper mounted on a wood cradle.  The sides are 1.5″ deep and are red.

I think she has more than tea on her mind…

Available HERE

******************************************************

My new/old mantra (forgotten and revived mantra?)

JUST MAKE SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL

I don’t often talk about my University experience.  There is a reason for that.  It took me close to 20 years to forget  about that experience. It took me that long to start painting what I wanted to paint and not think about what anyone else wanted me to paint or what their view would be on what I did paint.  It took me that long to shut those voices up so it is no surprise that I would  not want to awake those inner demons by drugging up the memory of that time.

Funny though,  they kind of decided to make an appearance any way.

UNINVITED….

this just shows what  inconsiderate and  rude these demons I am dealing with are.

Sorry guys, my art is not political, conceptual or shocking…

When I first started to paint full-time, four years ago, I really had no agenda other than to take something void of anything and in that space create something beautiful.  Along the way, of course other things did creep in.  Deeper things: my memories, my worries, my passions,  my dreams … Ultimately, though,  my initial  goal was the quest for beauty.  Something beautiful to look at.  I know that the french Impressionists that I adore  were pushing boundaries with mark making, colour  pallet and subject matter during their time but when I look at their art now, this is not the first thing that I think about. The first thing that strikes me, takes my breath away is the beauty of the piece.  Call me shallow, I don’t care, this is what draws me in and keeps me coming back for  that thrilling beauty fix. It never gets old.

So, thank you for giving me permission to create beautiful things. Thanks for embracing me and what I think is beautiful.  With all the ugliness in the world, perhaps putting a little beauty back into it isnt’   that  shallow after all.

So, whenever I forget what I am doing standing in my loft looking at a blank canvas,

AND FORGET I DO….

I am going to do my best to  remember  that four years ago I gave myself  permission to paint something beautiful and then,  I am going to attempt to do just that.

1. She is beautiful. Perhaps she is contemplating which cupcake to have with tea.

February 28, 2012 at 9:48 pm

• Mmmmm, perhaps! Red velvet for sure!
      Thanks for your comment.

February 29, 2012 at 8:18 pm

2. Marie I love your honesty and dedication to your art. It is inspiring and I am so glad you have chosen your truth over the expectations of others. If you are truthful in your art then there will always be people who will adore it!

February 28, 2012 at 9:57 pm

• Gillian, thanks so much for your nice comment. I love your blog post today! It is interesting to see your process! I can tell that honesty plays a huge part in your art

February 29, 2012 at 8:19 pm

3. Maria how I identify with your University experience. When I was able to start college in 1970, at what is now Eastern Oregon University, I loved horses and only wanted to paint them. I cried in many of my classes for the same reason you shared. Finally now I have a wonderful studio and paint anything I want to paint. But the sad thing is that if I had had instructures that inspired, who knows where I would be now. I have attended the Weekend With The Masters two years now and finally feel that anything is ok. Thank you for sharing. I know we would be friends. ~ judy

February 28, 2012 at 10:44 pm

• Hi Judy, I am so happy that you are able to find your art now. It is scary the power that a teacher can have over their student. I did have several inspiring Proffs, but even they were struggling against the slant the art department had at the time. I have heard that it has since changed. There was a bit of outrage when everyone that was graduating couldn’t draw…hmmm go figure…I was told once I could draw TOO well. WHAT?
      Best to you. Keep drawing what you love!

February 29, 2012 at 8:24 pm

4. Yes, whatever happened to ‘truth, beauty and the good’? And you may see beauty in places where others did not–art can be both beautiful and revelatory in that sense. x

February 28, 2012 at 10:45 pm

5. Don’t ever lose sight of beauty. That is why I come here.

February 28, 2012 at 11:06 pm

• Thanks Hilary. Keeping my eye on beauty best I can.

February 29, 2012 at 8:25 pm

6. Maria, your paintings are not only beautiful, but so inspiring for people like me who are just starting out! It always amazes me how much you are able to accomplish when you are in your studio. and how brave you are with your colors and textures. i agree so much with your perspective about not wanting to be controversial…just beautiful. thanks so much for your diligence! i am an eager follower of your blog.

February 29, 2012 at 12:09 am

• Thanks Michelle. I really appreciate your comments. Best of luck with your art.

February 29, 2012 at 8:27 pm

7. Maria, I am saving this post with my blog notes. I have so often felt my writing held back because my inspiration is not in the recommended, commercially expected, directions – and this includes criticism from myself, not just from others. I know it took you longer than you wish it had to ignore the critics and other critical voices, but you somehow found your way and we love it, and love you for it!

February 29, 2012 at 1:45 am

• Love you! Thanks Sarah…the greatest patron of the arts AND inspiring writer!

February 29, 2012 at 8:28 pm

8. Maria dear, I can relate to you. TOTALLY. I’ve experienced the same thing you did, but not only through university, but even until now. Sometimes all I want to do is to paint a pretty face, that’s it. She doesn’t have to be suffering from the past, or showing all the miserable events in the world. So what? Is that so bad? Well, I guess at the end our art stays ours and whether people like it or not, we’re entitled to do whatever we like with it. After all, it’s all subjective, don’t you think?

Your art is fabulous. Keep on! 🙂

February 29, 2012 at 1:56 am

• Amalia, I so agree, I just love your beautiful faces, never stop painting them!

February 29, 2012 at 8:30 pm

9. annerose

“Beauty is greater than pain”.
    I’m also in search of beauty, nothing makes me catch my breathe and uplifts like beauty.
    You are making beautiful art. Thanks!
    I hope to create some beauty in my art too.

February 29, 2012 at 6:09 am

• Thanks so much Annerose.

February 29, 2012 at 8:31 pm

10. i only hope to keep painting beauty!! i adore your work (i’ve favourited several) and may you never feel pressured to excuse your art, or life-choice…
    to my mind, there can be no higher calling than creating beauty!!
    – sorry, i’ll get off my soapbox now 🙂

March 1, 2012 at 5:23 pm

11. Lena

I love your beauty art!

March 2, 2012 at 9:44 am

12. Bridget

I’m enjoying the magic, honesty, layers, texture, and sweet feeling of your art! Just discovered you….

March 3, 2012 at 2:36 am

13. Oh Maria, thank you so much. I needed this post so badly. I had just decided in Feb to stop doing anything arty for a year, in the hopes of shutting up those voices that I just cant seem to drown out. I put a big piece of paper on the wall in my studio and I scribbled “PAINT FOR YOURSELF!!” in big black letters. I want so badly to get there. so i can have that joy back. sigh. thanks for all your beauty, of words and art and yourself that you share.

April 4, 2012 at 4:23 pm