First Painting Of The Year And The Power We Wield In 2014

Look-Back,-If-Only-For-A-Moment

Look Back, If Only For A Moment

10″x20″ Mixed media/encaustic painting on wood. The sides are 1.5″ deep and are painted turquoise.

This painting is available HERE

“He has the power to render us happy or unhappy; to make our service light or burdensome; a pleasure or a toil. Say that his power lies in words and looks; in things so slight and insignificant that it is impossible to add and count ’em up: what then? The happiness he gives, is quite as great as if it cost a fortune.”

― Charles DickensA Christmas Carol

The above passage is spoken by Scrooge to the ghost of Christmas past. He was explaining his relationship with his boss, Fezzywig, when he was young man. A very different relationship than what he holds with his own employee, Bob Crachet.

I have been thinking  of  these lines for the last few weeks.  The power that Scrooge is speaking of is held by all of us.  Parents hold it over their children, children over parents, spouses over one another.  We wield this power  most often over our loved ones, no doubt, the ones that love us the most. They are weak to either our disapproving glances or  uplifted to  our welcoming arms, our kisses, our approval. However, even the shop keeper or the  restaurant server  can be deeply affected under our power to make their work day good or bad. Such power we hold. To actually be able to make a persons day better! What a blessing it is to actually be able to do that.

In 2014  let’s wield that power only for the sake of good.  Remember what Voltaire  said, “With great power comes great responsibility.”

Use your power responsibly!

Happy 2014!

1. Hilary Wynters

love it yet again…..

January 8, 2014 at 9:49 pm

2. Amy Wooden

My niece with scoliosis loved the painting! And you daughters story! Thanks so much for sharing her story! All the best, Amy

Sent from my iPhone

January 8, 2014 at 10:43 pm

• That makes me so happy Amy! Happy New Year to you!

January 9, 2014 at 7:08 pm

3. I adore A Christmas Carol – I would read it for the pleasure of the words and what they evoke. Beautiful work – Have a Good 2014.

January 9, 2014 at 6:54 pm

4. Love the ethereal painting and the story…thanks for this!

January 10, 2014 at 3:40 pm

• Thanks so much for commenting. I appreciate it.

January 10, 2014 at 5:33 pm

5. Emma Field

I just love all of your work, but especially your beautiful girls. I lost my daughter ten years ago at age 17 and I keep waiting for you to paint a girl that reminds me of her. When you do, I am going to buy a mpwynters original 🙂 You are amazing and your work definitely has the power to cheer me up every time I see it.

January 11, 2014 at 11:11 pm

• Thank you,Emma. Your comment touched my heart. I can’t even imagine your loss. I love my girls so deeply, I am just glad that I can bring happiness to you through my art. They are my muses, for sure. I look forward to the day that your daughter makes her appearance in my art.

January 12, 2014 at 11:51 pm