Light My Way

Light-My-Way

9″x12″ mixed media painting on wood. The sides are red and are 1.5″ deep.

This painting is available HERE

It’s funny where inspiration comes from.  I was at a concert the other day and the band had set up the stage with various lamps. One lamp looked like a globe or orb and I couldn’t stop looking at it. They had set their water bottle in front of it and it almost looked like a figure holding a glowing orb above their head.  It made me think of my warrior of the light and I was inspired to paint this one.  I don’t know if I will go on to paint another but my husband quickly painted out “see it is good for you to go out!” (hermit that I am).

It is so important as an artists to be open for inspiration to make an appearance.  My mantra is always ‘inspiration finds us when we are working’ and this is true.  If we aren’t coming to the page/canvas on a regular basis, it makes it hard to actually manifest our inspiration BUT staring at the page/canvas day in and day out is NOT going to make that happen. Once again, as in most things in life, it is finding that perfect balance that is vital.

“I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars.”
― Og Mandino

1. Gorgeous work Maria! I’m still learning how to see with my ‘artist’s eyes’ so work like this, that came from something so everyday really as a lamp highlighting a person and a water bottle… it shocks and delights me, because it means that I too can learn to see my own world this way if I keep showing up. Thank you for sharing the quote too, I tend to push that part to the back-burner lol

October 22, 2014 at 11:40 am

2. Sorry, quote should have been mantra… though I like the quote by Og too ;))

October 22, 2014 at 11:41 am

3. Thanks Patricia, inspiration really is all around us. Some days it is hard to believe that is true but it is. You have to just keep showing up.🙂

October 22, 2014 at 3:17 pm

4. Michelle

I got sooo behind on e-mails these last few months, so I’m having fun catching up and looking at lots of your art all at once — making me kind of glad I got so behind! And I totally agree — inspiration is everywhere, even in the oddest and most unexpected of places, and I love that you see that, and what you created with this particular globe/orb that entered your vision. And I have to tease (please know that there is NO criticism here in any way), because in saying that your husband pointed out that you should get out more, you made a typo, and instead of typing “husband pointed out”, you typed “husband painted out” — and I thought that was WONDERFUL, as it shows who and what you truly are and where your mind and heart live!!!! :))))

January 20, 2015 at 2:35 pm

• Ha, ha, that’s awesome! Thanks for ‘pointing’ that out to me. It is so true about inspiration. I seem to be going through a kind of slump again and have decided to organize my home in the hopes of organizing my brain too. One can dream! Thanks for your message, I appreciate it. Maria

January 20, 2015 at 3:51 pm

• Michelle

Oh, you’re so welcome, and yes, I thought you would get a chuckle out of that! And as far as your “slump” goes, that’s so normal, and just part of the ebb and flow of being creative, let alone life in general, and I think you have the perfect plan of just getting away and focusing on something else. It’ll give your mind a break, and the distraction will refresh the creative well, and I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised when you return to artful inspiration. 🙂 Best wishes and hugs to you!

January 22, 2015 at 3:28 pm